Hello and welcome back to another exciting school year! As your child transitions to a new grade, new teacher, new schedule, and different routines, don’t be alarmed if irritability and anxieties surface. Please be patient as your child adjusts to his or her new environment.
Over the next few weeks we will be establishing classroom routines, rules, and hopes & dreams. We will continue to reconnect to things learned last year and expand upon them in the upcoming months. The following will explain some of our routines, schedules and things to know about Room 210:
- Open House is currently scheduled for Thursday, September 27th from 6PM-7:30PM.
- Our Lunch/Recess break is at 11:25 – 12:15 as follows:
11:50 – 12:15 - Recess
- We will be having one snack break in the morning. Please be mindful that your child eat a complete and healthy breakfast each morning, and pack a HEALTHY snack and drink each day (i.e., fruits, veggies, crackers, cheese, water and/or real fruit juice,etc). Snacks containing high sugar content, while yummy, will give your child a sugar high and then they will crash and burn. Empty tummies will not enable your child to reach his or her learning potential. We would like all children ready for the challenges of learning each and every day. Healthy snacks are the way to go!
- Feel free to send in bottled water (clearly labeled) for you child as well.
- I have supplied the students with pencils, crayons, colored pencils, markers, glue sticks, erasers, pencil boxes, and folders that should accommodate our needs for most of the school year. Additional school supplies that your child brought to school today can be used during his or her Homework time at home.
- A homework folder will go home with your child every night to facilitate communication between home and school. On the inside-left is a section for parent notices and/or corrected papers and the inside-right is for homework. This folder MUST be checked and returned to school each day. Please place any communication to me in the parent side of the folder.
- At this point, Homework will consist of reading for 20 minutes each day. More structured homework expectations will begin soon. While homework assignments may vary, I will try to keep the routine as consistent as possible. In addition, your child may have mini projects to complete over time.
- Our “Specials Block” is each morning from 10:40-11:25 at which time your child will be engaged in Art, P.E., and Music as follows:
Monday – Art (Art Smock recommended)Tuesday – Music & Library
Wednesday – P.E. (Sneakers required)
Thursday – Music
Friday – P.E. (Sneakers required)
- Computers have yet to be scheduled and will most likely be scheduled at various times throughout the year.
- For Art class you may send in an old shirt for your child to wear. He or she will be able to keep it in their cubby for the year. Please remember to put a name and room number on the shirt.
- Sneakers should be worn on Wednesday and Friday for P.E.
To help facilitate a successful and safe dismissal, it is extremely important that we know where your child is going at the beginning of each school day. While emergencies do arise, we suggest that you send a note to school with your child each time he or she will be going home a different way, being picked up, or leaving early for an appointment. The office needs this information by . If there is a discrepancy as to where your child is going (i.e., your child says he or she is going home a different way, but there is no note to back it up), your child will be sent to the office at the end of the school day. You will be called and will be responsible for picking up your child if necessary.
I hope this letter answers some of your beginning of the year questions. If you have additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. My telephone number is 781-221-7773 and email address is email@example.com You will also be able to find class/school related information on our classroom blog page but please bear with me as I update the information.
I look forward to meeting you at Open House on September 27th!